This was an amazing project. Building this printer came about because I originally had a Prusa I2, which was a great printer but had many areas that could be improved upon, like the build space. I could not tell you how many hours/lbs of plastic, I put through that I2, and it was great but I had other projects, that required larger solid pieces. So, in true fashion of the 3D printing world, I used the I2 to print the parts for the Xenocube.
Building this printer was to provide the following benefits:
- Build volume size
- Enclosed to stabilize heat
Adding some features:
- 24v hotend and build plate
- Bowden Extrusion
- Autobed level
- Raspberry Pi and Octoprint
Designing the printer, was alot easier, just for the simple fact that, rapid prototyping is a lot faster with a 3D printer. Using Sketchup to design the parts and printing them with the I2, resulted in fast turn around if a part needed a correction.
- Metal build plate with PET film
- Stainless Drill rods
- RepRap – All parts are either printable or easily sourced
- Dual Z axis motors
- All metal Hotend and extruder
The end result of building this was to increase reliability and functionality of 3D printing for future projects. However, I did test the idea of delivering a product from start to end. This resulted in idealizing a solution, materializing the solution, providing that solution to a large consumer audience. So, I built the printer, tested it, made a platform (XenoCube.com) to sell the parts to print and list of materials to purchase. I had the platform running for a year, to test out the manageability of the stack.
Overall the project was alot of fun. Now the Xenocube is my main work horse for printing and is getting a driver upgrade to silent drivers.